Disk Burn feature in Windows 7 allows you to burn files to a disk right from the Windows Explorer. It is a useful tool if you continuously want to save backups of your files and documents on disks. Some people may have installed other commercial software like Nero Burner or Roxio Burner or they find it annoying and would want to turn off this feature. This is how you can do this :
You must have administrator level access to perform the following steps.
- Press the key combination Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Type gpedit.msc in the Run dialog and press Enter.
- In the Group Policy Editor, select in the left side tree view : User Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → Windows Explorer.
- In the right side, find a value Remove CD Burning features. Double click on it and select Enabled as shown
- Press the key combination Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Type regedit in the Run dialog and press Enter.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesExplorer.
- In the right side pane, right click and select New → Dword (32-bit). Name the newly created value NoCDBurning and set its value to 1 as shown
If you feel uncomfortable editing Windows’ Registry, then you can download the Registry entries file win7_disable_cd_burn.zip. Extract the contents to your desktop, and double-click on win7_disable_cd_burn.reg.