When you download a file from the internet in Windows XP, Vista or 7 (only on NTFS filesystem), Windows attaches an alternate data stream (ADS) to this file to mark the file as coming from internet. When you try to run them or open them, Windows warns you that they may be unsafe as shown :
If you know that the file is safe and is downloaded from the safe source, then you can remove the zone information and get rid of the warning which is displayed everytime you run or open that file. Here is how :
- Right click on the file that you downloaded.
- Select Properties from the right-click menu. This would open the Properties dialog.
- In the Properties dialog, select the General tab.
- Click on the button labeled Unblock as shown
- Click OK to dismiss the Properties dialog.