When you logon to Windows, open a window, close a window or some error occurs (and dozens of such events) a sound is played by Windows. Windows 7 comes with many such sound sets that you can change to, so that a different sound is played on such events. Here is how :
- Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray in the bottom-right of your screen.
- From the right-click menu, choose Sounds,
- In the sound window, choose a sound scheme from the drop down list as shown,
- After selecting a sound scheme, you can test the sounds for various events in the selected scheme using the Test button. Just select and event in the event list and click on the button labeled Test.
- Click OK to save the settings.
If you choose the No Sounds scheme, then Windows will not play any sound on any event – it will make Windows silent. If at any later moment, you want to revert back to the default Windows sounds, you can choose the Windows Default scheme.