If you want to show the Windows version on your desktop just for the sake of fun, then you would have to do few registry editing. The version string is shown on the bottom right of your desktop and shows the Windows edition as well as the service pack number. Here is how :
- Press the keyboard combination Windows logo key + R to bring up the Run dialog.
- Type regedit and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following registry key in the Registry Editor :
- Locate a DWORD value named PaintDesktopVersion in the right side pane. Double click on it and change its value to 1,
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.