By default, Windows XP shows shadows under the menus to make it look better. If you do not like much of this kind of bling and want to save a little CPU power then you can disable this effect. Here is how :
- Right-click anywhere in an empty aera on the Windows desktop and select Properties from the right-click menu. This would open the Display Properties window.
- In the Display Properties window, select the Appearance tab.
- Click on the Effects button as shown,
- Un-check the checkbox labeled Show shadows under menus as shown,
- Click the OK button to close the windows.
- Click the OK button in the Displayto close the windows.