Although you can block a web site using the HOSTS file, but this method is not so quick to use for most of the users and blocks a site system wide. If you want to quickly block a web site in the Firefox browser only, then you can use the BlockSite add-on for Firefox. Using the BlockSite add-on, you can block all the web sites of your choice and disable any hyperlinks leading to them as well. Here is how :
- Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/blocksite/ page in your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Click on the green Add to Firefox button to install the Block Site add-on
- It will prompt you for confirmation. Click on Install Now to proceed. Restart your web browser to complete the installation.
- When Firefox has restarted, select Tools → Add Ons from the Firefox toolbar
- Click the Options button on the BlockSite add-on in the add-ons list.
- Make sure the Blacklist option is selected. Then click on the Add button and enter a web site URL to be blocked. Click OK to add that site to the blacklist. You can use wildcard characters like * or ? in the blocklist.
The BlockSite add-on is very useful in quickly blocking sites and all the links to them on other web sites. This adds an extra layer of security by allowing you to block malicious or irritatting web sites. For more information about this add-on, you can visit its page on the Mozilla site at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/blocksite/.