Windows 8 has many new features other than the Metro UI (Modern UI). The charms bar is one of these new features. The charms bar appears when you move your mouse cursor to the bottom-right corner or swipe from left edge to the center of the touchscreen slowly. This charms bar can be used to access various features of Windows 8 like search, share, start, devices or settings. But if you do not like this charms bar, then you can disable it. Here is how :
- Press the key combination Windows logo key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog, type regedit and press Enter to open the Windows Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor navigate to the following key :
- Select ImmersiveShell, right-click on it and choose New → Key from the context-menu to create a new subkey. Name this sub-key EdgeUI.
- Now select the newly create subkey EdgeUI, right-click on it and choose New → Dword (32-bit) Value from the context-menu to create a new dword value. Give the new dword value a name DisableCharmsHint. Double-click on DisableCharmsHint and change its value from 0 to 1.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
This method would stop the Windows 8 charms bar appearing when you move your mouse to the top-right or bottom-right corners. But you can still access the charms bar by dragging the mouse cursor to the right edge of your screen or using Windows logo key + C keyboard shortcut.