Recently Google has updated security measures in its Chrome browser. Now you can only install extensions available on the Google Chrome Web Store. if you try to install an extension available on a third party website (like on Softpedia), then it shows an information bar displaying the message that Extensions, apps and user scripts can only be added from the Chrome Web Store. This is to ensure that no malicious extensions or apps get installed in your Chrome browser. But if you must install an extension that is not available on the Chrome Web Store, then here is a workaround.
- First of all download the extension that you want to install from its website. For example, you can download all kinds of extensions from the Softpedia website at http://mcaf.ee/m1wk8. When you download the extension, you have to right-click on the download link and select Save link as from the context menu. For this article, I downloaded extension_2_2_0_510.crx – the extension file for “Do not Track Plus” Chrome extension.
- In the Chrome browser, open a new tab by pressing Ctrl + T hotkey. In the address bar of this new tab, type chrome://extensions/ and press Enter. This would open the Extensions page for your Google Chrome browser. You should un-maximize the chrome window – this is needed for the next step.
- Locate the downloaded Chrome extension file (.crx file) in the Windows Explorer. Then drag and drop it on the Extensions tab in the Google Chrome as shown in the picture below.
- You would now see the usual confirmation dialog for installing the extension. Click on the Add button to complete the installation.
- That’s it. You have successfully installed a Chrome extension that was not available on the Chrome Web Store.