The Google Chrome browser has a nice status bar which automatically hides when it has done displaying all the information like downloading webpage, opening website etc. But the statusbar of Mozilla Firefox is static and stays visible all the time. If you want the statusbar of Firefox to imitate the auto-hide feature of its Chrome counterpart, then you can use the Pimpoflage add-on. Pimpoflage creates a customizable auto hide function for both the top and bottom bars in firefox in windowed and fullscreen modes. Here is how you can install and use Pimpoflage addon in Firefox:
- Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/ in your Firefox browser.
- Click on the green colored Add to Firefox button to install the Pimpoflage add-on.
- Restart Firefox to complete the installation of the add on.
- Once you have installed the Pimpoflage add-on, you will see that your Firefox statusbar has been hidden. The Firefox window would look something like this :
- If you want the statusbar to appear again, then you can hover the mouse cursor over the usual statusbar region. You can also press the hotkey Ctrl + Alt to make the statusbar appear or disappear.
- You can access the Pimpoflage add-on preferences from the Firefox menubar Tools → Add-ons → Extensions. In the preferences window, you can choose to always show or always hide the the statusbar. You can choose to show the statusbar when hovering over a link or when a page is loading etc.
- In addition to auto-hiding the statusbar of Firefox, the Pimpoflage addon also allows you to always show the top navigational bar shown in the full screen mode. Usually the top navigational bar automatically hides when you switch Firefox to fullscreen mode after a few seconds. Using this addon you can make it stick on the top permanently.
The Pimpoflage add-on for Firefox can fulfill the needs of a person who is looking forward to have a Chrome’s statusbar like auto-hiding statusbar in Mozilla Firefox. It can also be used to always show the navigational bar of the Firefox browser in the fullscreen mode.