When you create a new user account through the PC Settings in Windows 8, it always creates the account to be a standard user account. This is done keeping the safety in mind, so that you do not accidentally create an administrator level account. But if you want to then you can always change the account type of a user from standard to administrator and vice versa. You can follow the simple instructions below in order to change the account type of a user in Windows 8:
Note : Only an administrator can change the account type for other users in Windows 8. An administrator cannot change his/her own account type while signed on to Windows using the same account.
- Press the hotkey Win + X and select Control Panel from the menu that pops up. This would open the Control Panel window. In the Control Panel, click/tap on User Accounts and Family Safety, then on User Accounts. Finally, click/tap on Manage another account as shown in the following picture:
- It will show a list of all the users on your PC. Select the user for whose account type you would like to change. You cannot select your own account or the Guest account from the list.
- When the account management windows shows up for the selected user, click/tap on Change account type from the various other management options.
- Now you can select the account type of the selected user. You can select either Standard user account or the Administrator user account. The information about the features, benefits and when an account type should be used is also displayed in this window. After selecting an account type, click on the Change Account Type button.
- That’s it. You have successfully changed the account type of a user on your Windows 8 PC.