Twitter is a very popular microblogging service and everyone is loving it. If you do not want to miss out on Twitter tweet updates while away from your computer, then you can attach you mobile phone with your Twitter account. This way you would be able to receive latest Twitter tweets in form of SMS (text messages) on your mobile device wherever you are. You would also be able to reply, follow, retweet etc., just by sending text messages to Twitter. Here is how you can add your mobile phone number to your Twitter account:
Note : If you have a smartphone or tablet then you can just download the Twitter app for Android or iOS and use it to login to Twitter. This is better and cheaper than using the SMS tweet service. But adding a phone number is still required for two step verification in Twitter.
- Logon to your Twitter account in your web browser.
- Go to the Twitter’s settings section by clicking on the gear like icon and selecting Settings. Alternatively, you can directly visit the https://twitter.com/settings/account page in your web browser to open your Twitter account settings.
- Select the Mobile section from the left-side list. Choose your country from the drop-down list and type in your mobile phone number. In some countries, you may have to choose some extra options like selecting your phone carrier. Then click on the Activate Phone button.
- After this Twitter would show you a number to which you have to sent a text message. Twitter also shows you what should be typed in the text message. I had to send a text message GO to 40404. After they receive your message, your phone number gets activated in your Twitter account.
- Now you would be able to see your added mobile phone number in the Twitter settings. You can choose options if you want others to find you by your mobile number on Twitter. You can choose to receive direct messages, top tweets and stories, new follower notifications, mentions and replies, notifications when your tweet is retweeted and more.
- After you have added your mobile phone to your Twitter account, you can start sending and receiving tweets using the text messages. For example, you can send a text message FOLLOW TheMandyMoore to follow a Twitter user named TheMandyMoore. You can find the full list of text message commands for Twitter on the Twitter SMS support page.