After Google started the two-step login verification sometime ago, every other company realized its importance and is now adopting it in one way or another. After Google, Facebook and Microsoft, now Twitter has added new options to enable two step login verification for signing on to your Twitter account. Two step login verification involves entering your usual login username and password, in addition to entering a secret code sent to your registered mobile phone number. This way only you, who possess the mobile phone, can sign on to your account. Even if hackers steal your username and password, they will not be able to sign on to your account because they do not have your mobile phone. Here is how you can enable two-step login verification in Twitter:
Note : You must add a mobile phone number to your Twitter account before you can enable or use the two step login verification. If you have not already added a mobile phone to your Twitter account, then you can read how to add mobile phone to your Twitter account.
- Logon to your Twitter account in your web browser.
- Go to the Twitter’s settings section by clicking on the gear like icon and selecting Settings. Alternatively, you can directly visit the https://twitter.com/settings/account page in your web browser to open your Twitter account settings.
- Scroll down on the settings page and you would find a setting for Account security as shown in the picture below. Check the checkbox labeled Require a verification code when I sign in.
- It would verify that your mobile phone can receive text messages from Twitter. This step is necessary because if you are not able to receive text messages, then you will not be able to log in using the two step verification. Basically, this step involves Twitter sending you a code on your mobile phone and you have to click Yes if you receive the message. You should wait for 4-5 minutes before you make a decision.
- Twitter would ask you for your password and save the settings thereafter. That’s it. You have enabled the two step login verification system in your Twitter account. Now whenever you login to your Twitter account in a web browser, Twitter would send you a login code on your mobile phone which you have to enter in the step 2 of verification as shown in the picture below:
Two step login verification is a new Twitter feature that helps you keep your account much more secure. Now you do not have rely only on a secure password but now you can have a second check using your mobile phone to make sure that you and only you can access your Twitter account. Only those who have access to both your password and your phone will be able to log in to your account. At the same time, it is worth mentioning that you should not downplay the importance of having a strong login password for your Twitter account just because you have enabled the two step login verification.