Whenever I watch CSI Miami on TV and I look at their computers which always show the CSI logo, I always think what if we could do this in our web browsers. I am not talking about settings Windows desktop wallpaper, but setting an image to be opened as you open a new window or tab in the Firefox web browser. It surely would make it look exciting and interesting when you use Firefox in day to day life. Thanks to the flexible nature of Firefox browser, it is very easy to set an image as the background for the new tab webpage.
You can follow these steps to set any image as your new tab background image in Firefox:
- First of all you have to prepare a picture. You can find a picture online or snap one using your own digital camera. You should use only JPEG image files having the same screen aspect ratio as your computer screen. It need not be mentioned that high resolution pictures would look better. Save this JPEG image to any folder on your hard disk.
- Open Firefox web browser and type about:config in the address bar and press Enter on your keyboard. You will be shown a warning message. You can click on “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button to proceed.
- This will open a list of all the preferences that you can set in Firefox. You have to type newtab in the Search field to find the new tab page setting that we are going to modify.
- Double-click on the browser.newtab.url preference and type in the full path of the JPEG image that you want to use a new tab background. Click OK to save the value.
- Now try opening a new tab in Firefox, it will show a beautiful background for the new tab. In the following screenshot, I am using famous singer Taylor Swift’s picture as the background image for the new tab. The picture does not have the same aspect ratio as my computer screen, this is why two black bars can be seen in the sides.