Microsoft is going out of its way to make a special gesture towards the loyal Windows customers and is offering the new version of Windows – Windows 10 as a completely free upgrade for all the Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users. All the people who are running Windows 7 and later versions already have started to see Windows 10 upgrade notifications on their desktop. While the free upgrade itself is being welcomed, people are finding it very annoying to see the notifications in the beginning of June, when the Windows 10 is going to be released later in the month of July. If you do not want to see those notifications, then you can disable them. Here is how:
- Open Control Panel and head over the Programs & Features section. Click on View Installed Updates to see all the Microsoft updates installed in your PC. Locate the update KB3035583, right-click on it and select Hide Update.
- Right-click on the taskbar, select Properties. In the Taskbar Properties window, click on the Customize button next to Notification area.
- For the GWX (Get Windows 10) icon choose the behavior – Hide icon & notifications.
- GWX is the Windows 10 Upgrade notification program and it should be deleted for getting rid of it. Press hotkey Win+X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) to open an elevated command prompt (for Windows 7, you can see – how to open an elevated command prompt).
- In the command prompt type the following commands and press Enter after each line (be very careful when typing these commands) :
taskkill /f /im GWX.exe
rmdir /s %windir%\system32\GWX
rmdir /s %windir%\sysWOW64\GWX
- That’s it, now you will not see Get Windows 10 (GWX) notification again.
Conclusion: If you feel annoyed by the Get Windows 10 upgrade notification then you can disable the whole thing altogether. This is a good option for those users who do not really want to upgrade to Windows 10.