When you open the settings in Windows 10, the interface shows up in light gray color. This is the default light color theme that Windows 10 uses by default. But it also has a hidden dark theme that you can enable by making some registry changes in Windows. Although the dark theme may not look as good as the light theme perhaps because it is not completely implemented, but it can be good on your eyes especially when working in the late hours of night. You can enable the dark theme manually by making changes to the registry or by using the registry script provided by us. Here is how:
- Download enable-dark-theme-windows10.zip and save it on your desktop.
- Extract the contents of the download ZIP archive to a folder and then double-click on the file names enable-dark-theme.reg. This will change the registry settings required for enabling the dark theme in Windows 10.
- Open the Task Manager by using the hotkey Ctrl+Shift+Esc or by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting the Task Manager from the menu.
- In the Task Manager, select Windows Explorer and then click on the Restart button. Alternatively, you can also restart Windows to load the new registry settings.
- When the Windows Explorer restarts (or if you reboot Windows, and Windows restarts), then you would be able to see the apps and settings windows in the dark theme.
The dark theme in Windows 10 stays hidden and is only made accessible if you make some changes to the Windows registry. This dark theme is excellent for use at night and reducing the strain on the eyes when you use PC for long hours.