If you watch videos in Windows, then you have to use some sort of video player software like VLC Media Player or Windows Media Player. Depending on how these various video players process a video file, the exact same video may appear differently in terms of the playback quality in these various media players. By changing the video renderer in a media player to the one that gives the best possible quality, you can watch your videos in the highest quality on your Windows PC.
There are many third party video renderers available on the internet. Among them Haali and madVR are the most popular. People who wish to watch their videos in the best possible quality on their computers choose madVR. It is designed to take a no-compromise on quality approach to give you a stunning video watching experience.
Here is how you can install madVR in Windows and use it in supported media players:
- Download the latest version of madVR from http://madvr.com/.
- Unzip the contents of the downloaded file to a folder where you want to install madVR. For example, you can extract the ZIP file contents to C:\madVR.
- Open an elevated command prompt by pressing Win+X and choosing Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu that shows up. In earlier versions of Windows, you will have to search for cmd.exe, right-click on it, select Run as administrator to launch it with administrator access.
- In the command prompt give the following commands (assuming C:\madVR is the folder where you extracted the ZIP file):
CD /D C:\madVR
- You will see a message that madVR is installed. After this you can go on and change the video renderer in a supported media player to madVR. For example, it is supported by Media Player Classic – HC (MPC-HC). In MPC, you can press O to open the options window. In the options window, select Playback and then Output from the left side. After this, you can choose madVR from the dropdown listbox labeled DirectShow Video.
- Click on the OK button to save the settings.
Now you can open a video in MPC-HC (or some other media player you configured) and enjoy your videos in the highest possible quality on your PC.