How to Disable Missing Plugin Infobar in Firefox
Everytime you open a webpage that uses some plugin that you have not installed in Firefox, it shows a missing plugin information bar (or infobar in short). Suppose you open a website with a Java IRC chat client embedded in the webpage, then you would see the missing plugin information bar if you do not have Oracle Java installed on your system. If you know that you do not want anymore plugins and do not want this information bar to appear everytime you open such a webpage, then you can disable this information bar. Here is how :
- Open your Mozilla Firefox web browser and type about:config in the address bar.
- Click on the I'll be careful, I promise! button to continue.
- You would see a big list of Firefox configuration entries. Type plugins.hide in the Search field to narrow down the list only to plugins related configuration entries. You would be able to find an entry named plugins.hide_infobar_for_missing_plugin.
- Double-click on plugins.hide_infobar_for_missing_plugin entry to toggle its value to True. If its value is True, then the missing plugins information bar is disabled. It its value is False, then the infobar is enabled.
- That's it you have successfully disable the missing plugins notification bar in Firefox. You would see the changes take effect immediately.
If later you want to enable the missing plugins information bar again, then follow the same steps but this time change the value of plugins.hide_infobar_for_missing_plugin entry to False.