Freeze Internet Explorer homepage using Registry permissions
How many times you find that the home page(s) of Internet Explorer is modified after installing a software? You can freeze the home page(s) and other settings by changing the Internet Explorer related Registry settings to read only. Here is how :
- Press the key combination Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog. Type Regedit.exe in the Run dialog and press Enter. This would open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following registry key in the Registry Editor :
- Right-click on the Main key and select Permissions
- Click on the Advanced button in the window title Permissions for Main.
- Under the Permissions tab, select the currently logged in user from the list. I have selected Trisha (because that is my user name) in the following picture. Then click on the Edit button as shown.
- From the list, choose the Deny checkbox for Set Value as shown. Click OK to save the permissions.
- Click OK in the respective windows of all the open related windows in this process.
Now, many of your Internet Explorer settings are frozen and have become read-only. Programs can read but not change the different values like home page. If you later want to revert back, you can follow the same steps - this time unchecking the Deny checkbox in the step 6 above.