How to Add New Search Provider in Internet Explorer 9
We have previously posted an article on how you can add new search provider in the Internet Explorer 7 and 8. But things are a little different for Internet Explorer 9. In the Internet Explorer 9 the search box and the address bar have been combined together. So when you have to search in this version, you can type the search phrase in the address bar itself and click on the magnifying lens like icon that appears as shown. By default the search provider for Internet Explorer is Bing.
If you do not like the Bing search engine or you want to try out new search engines, then you can choose from a multitude of different search providers. Here is how :
- Open Internet Explorer 9.
- Click on the gears like icon on the top-right corner of Internet Explorer window and select Manage Add-ons as shown.
- In the Manage Add-ons window select Search Providers from the Add-on Types list. Then click on the Find more search providers link at the bottom as shown.
- This would open the Microsoft's Add-ons web page where you can see a huge gallery of search providers. Go through this gallery and find a search provider of your like. Click on the thumbnail of a search provider that you want to add to Internet Explorer.
- This would open a page describing the select search provider. Click on the button Add to Internet Explorer to add the selected search provider to Internet Explorer as shown.
- Internet Explorer would confirm, if you want to add the selected search provider. You can also choose to make it the default search provider by checking the check-box labeled Make this my default search provider. Click Add button to add the selected search provider.
- After adding a search provider, when you type a search phrase in the address bar, you would see the icon of the newly added search provider appear along with other search providers as shown. Click on the icon of a search provider to search with it.
Although most of us just use major search engines like Google, Yahoo! or Bing to search for anything we want, but you can maximize the search quality by using a targeted search provider in the Internet Explorer. For example, using the New York Times search provider you can search only from the published articles of this great newspaper etc.