Reset Content Advisor Password in Internet Explorer
Microsoft Internet Explorer web browser has a unique feature called the content advisor which is very helpful in blocking certain categories of sites from viewing. This lets parents block violent, drug abuse or other adult theme sites on the computers used by their children. But sometimes parents forget the password that is required to configure the content advisor settings. If you have forgotten the password, their is an easy way to reset or remove it. Here is how :
You need administrator level privileges in order to reset (remove) the content advisor password.
1. Using Registry Editor
- Press the keyboard combination Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type regedit in the Run dialog and press Enter.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following key :
- In the right-side pane you would find the values named key and hint. Select key and press the Del to delete it. Repeat the same for the hint value.
- That's it. Now you have reset the content advisor password.
2. Using Command Line
- Open an elevated command prompt window. See how to open an elevated command prompt window in Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
- In the command prompt window, type the following commands and press Enter after each command :
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ratings /v key /f
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ratings /v hint /f
- These commands would delete the necessary values and reset your content advisor password.