How to Disable Windows SmartScreen in Windows 8
The SmartScreen feature which was a part of Internet Explorer until now, has now become much more enhanced as a part of Windows 8. When you run an application in Windows 8, the SmartScreen feature checks that application aganist its online database if it is malicious or not. This way SmartScreen protects you from running programs that might harm your computer. If you are online and try to run an unsigned application, then SmartScreen does the repuation check from its online database and shows you a warning, but gives you an option to run the application anyway. But if you are offline, then SmartScreen cannot check the reputation of such an unsigned application, and stops you from running it with no options. If you are frustrated by this, then you can disable SmartScreen in Windows 8. Here is how :
- Press keyboard shortcut Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog, type control /name Microsoft.ActionCenter and press Enter to open the Action Center in Control Panel.
- In the Action Center window, click on the Change Windows SmartScreen settings shown in the left side menu.
- This would open the Windows SmartScreen options window. In this window, choose the option Don't do anything (turn off Windows SmartScreen) as shown in the picture below:
- Click the OK button to save the changes. That's it. You have successfully disabled the Windows 8 SmartScreen. From now on you will not see any annoying SmartScreen messages.
Though sometimes disabling the Windows SmartScreen helps get rid of those annoying messages about not being able to run some programs, but it can lower your security and overall protection. Before you attempt to turn off Windows SmartScreen, make sure that you have installed a decent antivirus so that you stay protected from potentially unwanted programs or malware.