Run extended disk cleanup in Windows Vista
The Disk Cleanup tool in Windows Vista can be used to clean your hard disk of un-needed temporary files like internet history etc. But this tool does not remove many other types of files like error reports, windows install files, hotfix remnants etc. To be able to clean all these types of files, you need to invoke the disk cleanup tool with special a command line. Here is how :
- Press the key combination Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog, type cleanmgr /sageset:65535 and press Enter to open Disk Cleanup tool options.
- Select all the options (or the ones you want) and click OK.
- Next, open the Run dialog again. Type cleanmgr /sagerun:65535 and press Enter to run the cleanup.
- The Disk Cleanup tool cleared about 2 GB of files on my Windows Vista in this manner.