Disable startup sound in Windows XP
When you turn on your computer, Windows XP plays the startup sound. This can be very distracting when you are in a classroom or a meeting. Fortunately, you can disable the playing of this startup sound in Windows XP. Here is how :
- Press the keyboard combination Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog, type mmsys.cpl and press the Enter key.
- In the Sound and the Audio Devices Properties, select the Sounds tab.
- Scroll down in the list labeled Program events and select Start Windows.
- From the dropdown list labeled Sounds, select (None) as shown,
- Click OK button to save the changes.