Install Group Policy Editor in Windows XP Home edition
The Group Policy Editor provides a convenient graphical user interface to edit and modify the system and user level group policies and advanced system settings on a Windows based system. These group policies and other advanced settings determine the behavior of Windows and may enable or disable various system components in Windows. Unfortunately, this Group Policy Editor is not included in the Windows XP Home Edition. But you can manually install it on the XP Home edition too. Here is how :
- Download the system files required for installing the Group Policy Editor : gpedit_xp_home.zip.
- Extract all the files to a temporary folder using a tool like WinRAR or 7-Zip.
- Copy the following files to %WinDir%\System32\ folder :
- Create the following folders (if they do not already exist):
- Copy the following files to %WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy\ADM\ folder :
- Open a command prompt window by opening Start Menu → All Programs → Accessories → Command Prompt. In the command prompt window type the following commands pressing Enter after each line.
- That's it. Now you can open Group Policy Editor by opening Start Menu → Run, typing gpedit.msc and pressing Enter.
Alternatively, you can also run the Install.bat file found inside the downloaded archive gpedit_xp_home.zip. This would try to install the Group Policy Editor in Windows XP Home edition automatically.