When you download a file using Mozilla Firefox, it automatically adds a shortcut to the downloaded file in your recent documents list. It is a very good thing as it enables you to quickly find the downloaded file from the recent documents list in the Start Menu. But it can be a privacy issue for some of us. If you want to disable this automatically adding of the downloaded files to recent documents, then you can. Here is how :
- Start Mozilla Firefox.
- Type about:config in the location bar and press Enter.
- Firefox will show a warning. Click on the button labeled I’ll be careful I promise! to proceed,
- In the Filter field type addtorecent. You would see a preference named browser.download.manager.addToRecentDocs as shown. It would have a default value of true,
- Double click on browser.download.manager.addToRecentDocs to change its value to false.
- After changing the value, you do not have to restart the browser for the changes to take effect.