Windows 7 shows only the Recycle Bin icons on the desktop by default. This is unlike the older versions of Windows which showed shortcut icons My Computer, Control Panel, Network etc. on the desktop. If you like the older style of desktop, you can choose to display these classic icons on your desktop in Windows 7 too. Here is how :
- Right-click anywhere in an empty place on your Windows desktop window.
- Choose Personalize from the right click menu.
- In the Personalization window, click on Change desktop icons link on the right side as shown below
- In the Desktop Icon Settings window, check all the checkboxes under the Desktop Icons category as shown,
- Click OK for the changes to take effect.