Windows XP shows balloon tips of various kinds in the notification area (also called the system tray). These balloon tips can be very annoying for some of us and if you want to prevent Windows XP to show these balloon tips in the notification area, then follow these steps :
- Press the keyboard combination Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog, type regedit and press the Enter key.
- Navigate to the following registry key :
- In the right-side pane, right click and choose New → DWORD Value as shown,
- Name the new value EnableBalloonTips.
- Double click on this newly created DWORD value and change the value to 0.
- Close the Windows Registry Editor and restart your computer.