Facebook can send text messages containing the latest updates on your Facebook account like friend requests, messages, wall posts etc., to your mobile phone. For this, you will have to activate your mobile phone with your Facebook account. Here is how you can do this :
- Login to your Facebook account.
- From the top-right of the Facebook web page, choose Account → Account Settings as shown,
- Select the Mobile tab on the My Account page. Click on Register for Facebook Text Messages as shown,
- Choose the country where you live and choose the carrier (mobile service provider) and click Next as shown,
- You will find the instruction for next step – typically to send a text message (SMS) on a given number. This instruction is different for all countries and carriers. Use your mobile phone and send the message as given in the instruction. Click Next to continue,
- Wait for a few minutes (I had to wait for about 10 minutes) for Facebook to send to a code on your mobile phone. Type this code in the Facebook page and click on the Confirm button,
- You will see your mobile phone number listed under the Mobile tab upon successful confirmation. You will immediately start receiving Facebook updates on your mobile phone.