By default, Windows shows the thumbnails of various files (like pictures, Word documents etc.) in the Windows Explorer. This can put extra load on the CPU, and it can also make the Windows busy trying to create the thumbnails of each file inside a folder when you open that folder. You can choose to display the icon of a file instead of the thumbnails. Here is how :
- Press the keyboard shortcut Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog, type SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe and press Enter.
- In the System Properties window, click on the Settings button under the Performance section.
- In the Performance Options window, choose the Visual Effects tab. Then choose the Custom option. Scroll down the list and un-check the checkbox labeled Show thumbnails instead of icons.
- Click OK to save the settings.