Starting with Firefox version 20, this popular browser from Mozilla is showing a new type of download manager. The new download manager is being called download panel. The download panel shows up as an icon next to the Firefox address bar and you can click on it to see the downloading progress. But if you do not like this new download panel, then you can easily restore the older style of download manager in Firefox. Here is how :
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser. In the address bar type about:config and press Enter.
- Firefox will show a warning. Click on the button labeled I’ll be careful I promise! to proceed.
- In the Search field type toolkitui. You would see a preference named browser.download.useToolkitUI as shown.
- Double click on browser.download.useToolkitUI to change its value to true.
- After changing the value, restart the browser for the changes to take effect.
After this, you will see the old download manager when you are downloading a file. If you want, then you can also remove the download panel icon from the Firefox toolbar by right-clicking on it and selecting customize; and then dragging-and-dropping the download panel icon into the customize toolbar window.
doesn’t work in Firefox 26 🙁
It was a quick fix for Firefox 20 in which download panel was first introduced. In new versions it is completely gone. But you can switch to various extension based download managers like DownThemAll.
Comments are closed.