Google Chrome has become the most popular web browser for the new generation. It is fast and offers a huge collection of extensions. It also has very impressive security related features e.g., using alternative desktop so no program can capture your keystrokes. But if you want to be more secure in Chrome browser, then you may want to install the Dr. Web Link Checker extension using which you can check links for malware and other security risks. Here is how:
- Visit https://chrome.google.com/webstore/ in your Google Chrome web browser.
- In the webpage that opens, click on Add to Chrome button to install this extension in Chrome.
- Once the extension is installed, you would notice green colored Dr. Web icon in the Chrome browser window near the top-right corner. Now you can right-click on any link on any webpage and choose Check with Dr. Web to scan it with Dr. Web Link Checker.
- This would make Dr. Web Link Checker to send the contents of that link to Dr. Web website and scan it for possible security risks. The rsults of the scan shall be shown in a pop-up window. If the link points to a malicious file, then it would show ‘Infected’ in red color. This is a hint that you should stay away from that link and do not click on it.
- Dr. Web Link Checker also automatically checks links on Facebook, Google+ and Vkontakte (more popular in Russia) for malicious objects. You can select which social networks should be scanned for malware in the Dr. Web Link Checker settings. You can also use it to block Flash content and ads on websites.
Dr. Web Link Checker is a nice way to protect your web browser. If you feel suspicious about a link or download, then you can simply check it with Dr. Web Link Checker and find out if it is safe to click on that link.