If you have set a user password in your Windows 10 PC then the first thing you would see after starting Windows is either the login screen or the lockscreen. Recently, Microsoft has started to display advertisements on the lockscreen for the Tomb Raider game. If you do not want to see such advertisements and change the lockscreen background to an image that you like then you can do so from the registry. Here is how:
- Press Win+R hotkey to open the Run dialog.
- Type regedit in the Run dialog and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization in the Registry Editor.
- In the right-hand panel, right-click and choose to create a new string value named LockScreenImage.
- Double-click on the newly created string value and assign it the value data of the full path of a JPEG image somewhere on your hard disk. Click OK to save the value data.
- Now you can check whether the lockscreen background has been changed to your custom image by pressing the hotkey Win+L.
The above process sets the default lockscreen image for the users in Windows 10 so that all other attemps to change the lockscreen background made by non-admin users will fail. This is useful if you do not want others to change the lockscreen background, assign a default company lockscreen or disable the Microsoft advertisements being displayed on the lockscreen.