Chromium is an open-source web browser and it is the code base used in Google’s Chrome web browser. There are very small differences between the Chrome and the Chromium web browsers. The main difference being that Chromium is open-source and does not contain any of the Google services.
Some people like to use Chromium web browser on their computers. If you have not installed Chromium on your PC, then you can read about previous article about installing Chromium on a Windows 11 PC. And if you have already installed Chromium on your Windows 11 computer then you might want to make it your default web browser.
Here is how we can easily set Chromium as the default web browser on Windows 11:
- Launch Chromium web browser and wait for it to display the alert “Chromium is not your default browser”. Click on the button Set as default displayed immediately after this message.
- If you do not see any message as mentioned in the step 1, then open Chromium settings by entering chrome://settings/defaultBrowser in the address bar of Chromium browser. Click on the button labeled Make default.
- In the Windows settings that is opened up automatically, enter http in the search box and then click on the default app that is displayed for http.
- From the list of all the apps, select Chromium and then click on the OK button. This will set Chromium as default web browser for the http protocol on your PC.
- You can repeat the steps 3 and 4, for https too. Similarly, you can set Chromium web browser as the default app to open the HTML and HTM files.
If you do not see “Make Default” button in step 2 above then you already have set Chromium as your default web browser on Windows 11. In that case, you will see the message “Chromium is your default browser”.