Avira Free Security is an excellent security software for Windows systems. It is now owned by the NortonLifeLock that also offers many Norton series of security software such as Norton Antivirus. The free version of the software provides basic protection against the malware, comes with a firewall and also includes many useful tools such as performance booster.
Avira Free Security also comes with the same Avira Phantom VPN that is being offered also separately for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS users. You can turn on VPN service offered by Avira Free Security any time you want to hide your IP address.
There are two ways of enabling VPN when you are using Avira Free Security.
- Right-click on the Avira Free Security icon in the notification area.
- From the notification area icon menu, choose Turn on VPN.
- Wait for a few seconds. You will see a notification that “Your VPN is ON”. This will connect your computer to the nearest possible server to your location.
- Double-click on the Avira Free Security system tray icon or the desktop icon. You can also search for Avira Free Security in the Start menu .
- Select Privacy section from the left side of the dashboard and then select VPN module.
- Finally, click on the Turn on VPN button to enable the VPN for your computer.
- Optionally, you can choose the location for VPN server by clicking on Change Location. If you do not pick a location, it will auto-pick a server located close to your city for fastest connection.
Avira Free Security offers free VPN access for all the users who have installed this free security software on their system. However, there is a limit of only 500 MB per month for the free users. If you want to remove this limit, you have to upgrade to the Prime version of Avira Security. By upgrading, you will remove all the limits and get unlimited VPN access.