Windows Defender comes pre-packed with Windows Vista. Its a utlity to fight off malware and spywares that creep into Windows from the internet. But does it work that great? Many people prefer to use tools like Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware instead of Windows Defender. In other words, not all users need or use Windows Defender. Unfortunately, Microsoft gives no clear instruction to remove Windows Defender. However, we have found a way to get rid of Windows Defender :
- Open Windows Defender from the Start Menu → All Programs menu. If you have classic view enabled, you can open it from Start Menu → Programs → Windows Defender. Click on the Tools icon on the cammand bar at the top, to open Tools and Settings section as shown below :
- In the Options, scroll down and uncheck Use real-time protection (recommended) under Real-time protection options as shown :
- Scroll further down and uncheck Use Windows Defender under Administrator options as shown :
- Click on Save button. A UAC dialog seeking permission would appear, click on Continue. Another message would be shown saying that Windows Defender is turned off :
- Click on the Close button to dismiss this message box.