Windows 7 is keeping up with other operating systems like Ubuntu Linux which allow changing the logon screen backgrounds. You can change the logon screen background easily in Windows 7. I have described the manual method as well as an automatic tool to change the logon screen background.
Note : You would need a JPEG image file for using as the background. This background JPEG file should not be more than 256 KB in size.
- Press the key combination Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Type regedit and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor navigate to the following key :
- Right click in the right pane and select New → DWORD (32-bit) Value to create a new DWORD value of name OEMBackground.
- Double click on OEMBackground and set the value as 1
- Copy your JPEG file which you are going to use as the logon background to the following location (you may have to create the folders) :
- Finally, rename the JPEG file in %windir%System32oobeinfobackgrounds as backgroundDefault.jpg
- You can check the logon screen background by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del.
Using a tool
- Download the program from here.
- Extract the contents to a folder.
- Right click on TweaksLogon.exe and select Run as administrator.
- Choose a background file and you would see a preview.
- You can click on Test to see the changed logon screen at work.