We have covered previously, that how you can use OpenDNS free DNS servers for protecting yourself online. Now OpenDNS has started a new set of DNS servers – OpenDNS FamilyShield DNS servers. Using these servers you can block all the adult web content which is not appropriate for a family with kids. Here is how :
Update : Now you do not have to manually set the DNS servers. You can use our Public DNS Server Tool to set the Open DNS Family servers automatically.
- Open Control Panel. Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center. Then click on Manage network connections on the left side menu.
- In the next window, select your Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection, right-click on it and select Properties
- In the Connection Properties, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- In the TCP/IPv4 properties window, select Use the following DNS server addresses. Enter the OpenDNS FamilyShield IP addresses 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 and click OK as shown :
- You are ready to use the OpenDNS FamilyShield.
Now if you try to visit a web site with adult content, you will be blocked like this :