A DNS server is needed for using the internet. A DNS server translates the readable form of web addresses like google.com into numerical IP addresses like 18.104.22.168.
Comodo, the creator of the popular Comodo Firewall software, has introduced Comodo Secure DNS servers for free public use. Anybody can use the Comodo Secure DNS servers for free if they properly configure the network settings. For more information about Comodo Secure DNS servers, you can visit http://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/. This article discusses how to configure Windows to use the Comodo Secure DNS servers.
Method 1 – Using Public DNS Server Tool
- Download Public DNS Server Tool. Extract the contents of the zip file to a folder.
- Run public_dns_tool.exe by double clicking on it. If you are using Windows XP, make sure you are logged in as Administrator. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you will be asked to provide the administrator level access.
- Select your network interface card from the NIC list. Select Comodo Secure DNS from the drop down public DNS server list.
- Click on the lower Change button to set the Comodo Secure DNS servers.
Method 2 – Using Windows Control Panel
- Open Control Panel. Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center. Then click on Manage network connections on the left side menu.
- In the next window, select your Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection, right-click on it and select Properties
- In the Connection Properties, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- In the TCP/IPv4 properties window, select Use the following DNS server addresses. Enter the Comodo Secure DNS IP addresses 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 and click OK as shown :
- You are ready to use the Comodo Secure DNS servers.