Windows XP comes with Windows Messenger which can be used to send and receive messages over a network. But it can become a nuisance if you receive a lot of messages. If you want to disable the Windows Messenger so as to prevent it from running, you can follow these steps :
- Press the keyboard shortcut Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog, type gpedit.msc and press Enter to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
- In the Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the following :
Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → Windows Messenger
- You would find a setting Do not allow Windows Messenger to be Run as shown,
- Double click on this setting and select Enabled. Click OK to save the setting.
- Close the Local Group Policy Editor window.