Windows 7 has a sidebar feature which contains gadgets. Desktop gadgets are displayed in the right side of Desktop. These gadgets are small applets which display information or utilities. If you do not like gadgets, then you can turn them off using a group policy. Here is how :
- Press the key combination Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type gpedit.msc in the Run dialog and press Enter.
- In the Local Group Policy Editor navigate to
Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → Desktop Gadgets.
- You would find a setting on the right hand side pane — Turn off desktop gadgets as shown,
- Click on this setting, choose Enabled and then click OK.
- Close the Local Group Policy Editor window.