There has been a huge rise in the URL shortening services over past few years. Now McAfee, the popular anti-virus vendor, has also joined the race. What makes the McAfee URL Shortener service different from others is that all URLs are scanned using their latest virus definitions at the time of using them. McAfee also provides an extension for Chrome, so you can use their service with a single click. Here is how :
- Visit McAfee Secure URL Shortener extension page in your Google Chrome browser.
- Click on the blue Install button to install the McAfee Secure URL Shortener extension
- It will prompt you for confirmation. Click on Install to proceed.
- After McAfee Secure URL Shortener extension is installed in your Chrome browser, you are ready to use it. After installation you would see a popup on the top-right corner saying : McAfee Secure URL Shortener is now installed.
- Now you can visit any webpage in your Chrome browser. After visiting a webpage, if you want to create a shortened URL for that webpage, then just click on the McAfee icon on the top-right corner. A popup window will be immediately shown with the shortened URL.
- If you want to copy this shortened URL to the clipboard then just click on it.
This extension uses the mcaf.ee service which utilizes McAfee’s Global Threat Intelligence information. The mcaf.ee service allows users to create short URLs, which are checked against McAfee