As time passes, your hard disk accumulates all kinds of junk data – game data, temporary files, Internet browser cache, cookies and other left over files from many programs. You not only lose your valuable hard disk space, but your overall computer performance may also decrease. You should regularly free space on your hard drive to keep your computer running well. If you start getting warnings that your hard drive space is running low, follow these steps:
- Press the key combination Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type cleanmgr.exe in the Run dialog and press Enter.
- You would see a Disk Cleanup dialog. Choose a partition and click OK. Normally, you would choose the partition on which Windows is installed as shown :
- The Disk Cleanup would calculate and finally show how much space you can clean as shown
- Select all the check boxes and then click OK. The Disk Cleanup tool will ask final confirmation if you want to delete these files. Choose Yes and Disk Cleanup will delete the selected files.