Windows 8 comes with Internet Explorer 10 pre-installed, without giving you any options to choose a third party browser like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Opera. This is partly because Internet Explorer is not only used as a web browser but its various components are also utilized by Windows itself. But if you do not like Internet Explorer, then you can always remove it from Windows 8. Here is how :
Note : Only an administrator can remove Internet Explorer from Windows 8. Removing Internet Explorer from Windows 8 may affect some other features and programs. You should always create a system restore point before proceeding.
- First of all, download and install a third-party web browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox before you remove Internet Explorer. Do not install a web browser that is based on Internet Explorer.
- Press the hotkey Win + R to open the Run dialog. Type OptionalFeatures.exe in the Run dialog and press Enter. This would open the Windows Features window.
- In the Windows Features window, you would find many programs and features that can be removed or installed in Windows 8. Un-select Internet Explorer 10 from the list by un-checking the checkbox next to it. Then click OK button.
- It would show a warning that turning off Internet Explorer might affect other Windows features and installed programs including default settings. If you want to continue, click on the Yes button.
- It will take some time before Internet Explorer gets removed from your system. Windows may restart in order to complete the removal process.