If you install a third party web browser like Firefox or Opera but do not like them very much, then you can set Internet Explorer to be your default web browser again. By making it your default browser, you tell Windows to open all the internet links, HTML files and supported protocols using the Internet Explorer. You can follow these instructions on how to make Internet Explorer your default web browser in Windows 8:
- Press the hotkey Win + D to switch to Windows Desktop, if you are not already there. Run the Internet Explorer web browser from the Windows desktop taskbar shortcut. Do not launch the fullscreen Internet Explorer App from the Start Screen.
- In the Internet Explorer window, you would see a gear like icon near the top-right corner. Click on this gear-like icon and select Internet Options from the menu that appears.
- In the Internet Options window, select the Programs tab. Then click on the link labeled Make Internet Explorer the default browser a shown,
- This would open the Set Default Programs window with Internet Explorer pre-selected. You can now click on the Set this program as default button to associate it with all the supported protocols and file types.
- That’s it. You have successfully set Internet Explorer as your default web browser.
If you want to selectively choose which protocols or file types should be opened with Internet Explorer, then you have to click on the Choose defaults for this program button and then select the protocols and file types you want to associate with Internet Explorer. After selection is made, you can save the settings by clicking on the Save button.