When you are using your computer for work in office or you are setting it up for your kids, then you may want to restrict the Internet access only to a few appropriate websites and block the rest of them. This way your office employees or kids would be able to access one or two websites and nothing else. It can be done very easily in Windows through the Parental Controls feature in Windows Vista, 7 and 8. Here is how:
Note: You must be an administrator in Windows to follow these instructions. These instructions are for Windows 8, but they are similar in Windows Vista and 7.
- Press Win + R key combination to open the Run dialog. In the Run dialog, type control /name Microsoft.ParentalControls and press Enter. This would open the Parental Controls section in the Control Panel.
- You would be able to see a list all the user accounts. Select one of the accounts for which you want to set the restrictions. On Windows Vista and 7, if the Web Filter option does not appear for that user, then you may have to install Windows Live Essentials on your PC before proceeding. In the following example we are going to select the user named Robert.
- Select On, enforce current settings to enable Parental Controls for that user. Then click on the Web filtering to open the web filter settings for that user.
- Choose User can only use the websites I allow and then click on Allow or block specific websites as shown in the following screenshot:
- In the window that opens, you can add allowed websites to a list. To add a website to the allowed list, type its domain name and then click on the Allow button. There is no need to add any sites to the block list.
- That’s it. After this the target user (Robert in our case), would be able to access only the allowed sites (the ones you added to the allowed list in the step 5 above). All other sites will be blocked automatically. This restriction works for all web browsers and other applications.
I am using Win 10 Pro,
I have tried to type: control /name Microsoft.ParentalControls
but it has not worked yet, Could you pls check and get back to me by below email.
this doesn’t work anymore (on win 10). now when you want to set a family policy, the link in control panel opens m.s. edge to accounts.microsoft.com.
like, i don’t want to set up an account (duh). i want to restrict access for the computer
how do i program my operating system to only allow access to whitelisted urls ?
What version of Windows Essentials were you using here? Now it takes you to a Windows Live website that doesn’t have any of the blocking functionality I’m looking for.
Comments are closed.