When you connect to a wireless network with your Android smartphone, it is automatically assigned an IP address by that network. This is because the Android smartphone is configured to use the DHCP server by default. DHCP is an acronym for the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol which allows the server to automatically assign an IP address and the DNS servers for the host connecting to the wireless network. But if you want to change your IP address in Android, then all you have to do is switch from the DHCP setting to the static IP address setting for the WiFi connection.
Here is how you can change the WiFi IP address in Android:
- Open system settings in your Android smartphone. Under the Wireless & Networks section, turn on the WiFi by touching the flip switch graphic and then touch on the WiFi option. This will display all the available WiFi networks around you.
- In the list of the the WiFi connections shown, long touch one of the networks that you want to change the IP address for. Then select Modify Network from the screen that appears.
- This will open the various settings for the selected network. Select the checkbox labeled Show advanced options. In the advanced options, under the IPv4 Settings, change DHCP to Static. This will allow you to change the IP address.
- Now you can change the IPv4 address anywhere in the range specified by the selected wireless network. Usually, it is within 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255 but should not set to it any conflicting IP address.
- That’s it. You are all set, now when you connect to the selected wireless network, it will use the IP address that you have manually entered yourself.
Conclusion: Assigning a static IP address for a wireless connection in Android works very well for WiFi routers that you own or have in your office. But for public WiFi networks, it is not always possible to choose an IP address of your choice as many other people have already been using it. In case of public WiFi networks, it is a good idea to stick to the DHCP settings for wireless connections in Android.
theres no “save” button on my phone what do i do
There is always a Save button. Perhaps it is hidden by keyboard.
Comments are closed.