The teenagers who enjoy games on their modern gaming consoles like Microsoft Xbox and Sony PlayStation perhaps do not know about Atari gaming consoles that were very popular in 1970’s. Those consoles and the games that played on them look very silly today, but they can give you a feeling of nostalgia especially if you grew up in the 70’s or 80’s. Fortunately, there are emulators like Stella available for free that can help us have that nostalgic joyride easily. We are talking about games that most of us have never played and only have heard about. Some of these games include Pong, Space Invaders, Pac Man, Adventures of Tron and more.
So how to you go about playing those old Atari 2600 games on your PC? Here is how:
- First of all download Stella for your PC or Mac. It is available for Windows, Linux and Mac.
- Install Stella on your system. The installation process depends from the type of system you have. But in all the cases, it is pretty straightforward and simple.
- Now download some of the rom image files for the Atari 2600 games that you want to play. You can find where to get these files for Atari 2600 by searching the internet. If the files are zipped, then extract the rom files from inside them. Place all the rom files inside a single folder.
- Launch Stella and choose the folder containing the rom files.
- In Stella, double-click on a rom file that you want to play. For example, we double-clicked on ADVTRON.BIN to play the Adventures of Tron.
- If the games do not seem to work, press ESC key then press F2 and then relaunch the game by double-clicking on its file. Typically, you can use the mouse to control the games.
You can find all the download links at http://stella.sourceforge.net/downloads.php.