Opera web browser has been around for a very long time and has survived all the web technology changes in the last two decades. Today it can boast to be a really fast and feature rich web browser that works on all the popular platforms including Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and Linux. It even provides the J2ME browser apps for feature phones that some people still use.
In the past, we have written about how you can use Opera in the portable mode using an indirect approach but back then Opera did not support installing it in the portable mode. Now Opera offers the option to install it in the portable mode in the setup installer itself.
Here is how you can install Opera in the portable mode in a Windows PC:
- Download the offline installer for Opera browser from https://www.opera.com/computer.
- Launch the setup installer and click on the Options button in the installer window.
- Choose Stand-alone installation (USB) from Install for options.
- Choose a folder on your hard drive or USB pen-drive where you want to install Opera in the portable mode.
- Click on the Accept and Install button to start the installation.
- After the installation is complete (it takes only 3-4 seconds), Opera will be launched automatically.
You will find launcher.exe inside the folder that you selected in the step 4 above. This launcher.exe file should be used in the future if you want to launch the portable mode of the Opera web browser. Your user profile is stored inside a sub-folder named profile. When this portable Opera browser gets updated to a new version, it creates a new sub-folder for the new version so you may want to remove the older version sub-folders. You can carry your Opera web browser with you wherever you go in a USB pen-drive.
Why when I try to install opera on my USB Drive, it says I need 80MB more space on Drive C which is my Local Disk.
Comments are closed.