VLC Media Player is one of the most popular media players in the world. It can play any type of media file without forcing you to install any external codec packs. It can play audio files, video files, DVD or Blu-Ray media and even play online videos streams. It is available for all the popular platforms like Windows, Linux, macOS and Android.
When launched VLC Media Player from its desktop shortcut, it displays a background icon of a traffic cone. Some people do not like this icon and want to get rid of it. There is no official way to replace this traffic cone graphic, but it can be removed. Here is how:
- Launch VLC media player and press Ctrl+P to open its preferences. You can also select Tools → Preferences from the menubar.
- In the preferences window, select show all settings, select Interface → Main interfaces → Qt.
- Uncheck Display background cone or art from the right-side.
- Click on the Save button to save the settings.
- Close VLC media player window and then relaunch it. You will not see the traffic cone icon in the VLC window.
Using these steps you can remove the traffic cone icon from VLC media player. This will also remove the special Santa Claus icon that appears during the Christmas season. If you want to view the special Christmas season icon in VLC media player, then you can reverse the above steps and enable the traffic cone graphic once again.
There is one other non-standard way of removing this traffic cone. This is done using the skins for VLC media player. You can download pre-made skins for VLC from its official website (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php). There are dozens of VLC skins available for download. You can also create your own VLC skins using a tool available from the same webpage.