CloudReady is an operating system based on the open-source Chromium OS. It is being offered in many editions but the Home Edition is available for free for the personal home use. It can be installed on any computer running on Windows, Mac, Linux and Chromebooks. It is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. For the people who have used Chromebooks, will immediately see a similar interface for the obvious reason. However, CloudReady does not come with Google apps or Google Play store.
If you want to install CloudReady on your Windows computer, then you have to first create a bootable USB drive for the installation. Here is how it is done:
- Download and launch CloudReady USB Maker. It is a portable program.
- Attach any USB pendrive with a capacity anywhere between 8GB to 16GB to your PC. It is better to use a faster USB 3.0 pendrive for using it as install media. Also CloudReady USB Maker does not seem to like SanDisk media or a USB hard drive.
- Click Next to proceed in CloudReady and move to the next step.
- Choose whether you want 32-bit version or the 64-bit version of the CloudReady operating system. Click Next to proceed.
- Wait for your pendrive to appear and select it from the list. Click on the Next button to proceed.
- It will download and prepare the USB drive for you. When everything is done, you can reboot your system, press F12 and choose the USB pendrive to boot from.
CloudReady USB Maker is only for Windows computers, however the USB drive created using it works on all computers. Alternatively, you can directly download the ISO image and use any ISO to USB tool to create the bootable USB drive. But if you have access to a Windows PC, then you should use the USB Maker tool because it is easier and checks for any new versions of ClourReady to download them if necessary.
You can download CloudReady USB Maker from https://www.neverware.com/freedownload.